Rotation 6 – Rotation Reflection

My experience at NYPQ Internal Medicine department was eye-opening. Prior to the rotation, I did not know what to expect. Now having experienced it, I have so much more respect for the specialty. The PAs that I have worked with are all great at what they do. They know the essentials of how to take care of their patients, and are knowledgeable in when additional specialty involvement is necessary. For example, a patient was admitted for COPD exacerbation, was stabilized, but then spiked a fever on the fourth day of their stay. The medicine PAs needed to investigate the reasoning, and since the infection source was unknown, they knew to reach out to the Infectious Disease team to help in determining how to treat the patient.

The PAs were essential to “running the show” in the hospital, doing a lot of the front-line work, as well as the behind the scenes work to get things moving along in the hospital treatment. I was in awe by how hard they worked to make things happen, no matter how understaffed the department is. I was impressed by their ability to multitask, as well as strategize which patients needed more immediate attention. These are skills I found essential to being an effective PA in this field. I also noticed that the knowledge gained on this rotation is applicable throughout any medical field I may choose to be in. It offered a holistic approach to treating patients, which is useful anywhere. For example, a patient could have been admitted for one complainant, however when admitted onto the floor, the patient’s every organ system needed investigation in order to ensure that all needs of the patient are addressed during their stay. Someone could have been admitted for a UTI, yet have hypertension, diabetes, hyperlipidemia, and hypothyroidism to also consider.

One week during the rotation I was sent to work on a floor with oncology patients. I found these types of patients to be challenging emotionally since I have lost a close family member to liver cancer. Seeing patients who are suffering too due to the cancer itself, and the side effects of their treatments, is devastating in how it always hits back home. For these patients, I realized as difficult seeing the patients in this state can be, it is important to remember why I chose to become a PA. It is to be able to serve patients, and to give back to the medical community for taking care of my family members. I reminded myself of my purpose, to treat these patients as if they were my own family, and do everything I could to give great medical care. Additionally, I always try to be compassionate, offer a smile wherever I can, and try to be someone who can make a patient’s stay at the hospital just a little bit better.

There were a couple of patients whose stories will always stay with me. There was a woman in her late 40s, who was considered healthy just a month prior. She had come to the hospital complaining of weakness and shortness of breath. She was noted to have bilateral pleural effusions when an Xray was performed, and paracenteses were performed. On analysis of the pleural fluid, it was discovered to be malignant in nature. She was also found to have metastatic lesions in other locations throughout her body. After a thorough investigation, she was believed to have hepatic carcinoma as the original origin. With the extent of her disease and complications, it was evident that this was a terminal case. Once again, this hit home and was a tragic case seeing how unfairly cards can be dealt in life. 

Another patient I remember, had shown the importance of giving proper medical education and follow up with our medical providers. She was a woman in her 50s who came to the hospital complaining of intractable back pain for a month, as well as a lump on her breast that had been present for 6 years. The breast lump had been biopsied 6 years ago, and according to the patient, the results came back benign so the patient never went back to follow up on it. She had been in the care of other doctors after, however, she did not find it necessary to mention this lump, nor the biopsy to them. The patient also noted that 3 years ago, the lump had grown bigger, but she did not consider talking to anyone about it. During her stay, she was found to have breast cancer with metastasis to her spine. This case stood out to me because I felt like this could have been prevented. The patient’s original doctor should have educated the patient on following up on the results, important warning signs involved with breast cancer, as well as the need to start mammograms at the appropriate age. It also showed how important it is to communicate with your doctors, and offer additional medical history details, no matter how insignificant they may seem to the patient.