Fall 2018 vs. Spring 2019 H&P Reflection

1. What differences do you note between the two H&Ps?
    When comparing the earlier H&P to the more recent H&P, I noticed that within roughly the same amount of time given to work with the patients, I was able to cover more ground in the latter. I also can see how far I have come in terms of what I have learned in performing physical exams.
  1. In what ways has your history-taking improved?  Are you eliciting all the important information?
    My history-taking has improved by me being able to better draw information from the patient, and understanding what information is considered “pertinent.” This may be attributed to the interviewing skills and knowledge I have learned in class, and picked up along my hospital visits. Also, I gained more confidence and comfort with working with patients.
  1. In what ways has writing an HPI improved?
    I believe that my HPI has improved in terms of thoroughness. I am better able to appreciate what parts of the HPI are more pertinent to cover and ask, according to different conditions and scenarios.
  1. What is your self-assessment of your current skill in performing a physical exam? Which areas do you feel strongest about/weakest about?
    I believe that I have come a long way from where I started with knowledge on performing PEs. I am more comfortable with interacting and “touching” patients. I believe that I have a good grasp on what a routine PE entails, and understand situations where more in depth exams are warranted. The area that needs improvement, more experience, and comfort, would be performing exams on the more private regions of the body.
  1. Which of the specific areas will you target as needing particular focus in future patient visits when you start the clinical year?
    In clinical year, I could use more practice in performing PEs in order to gain more knowledge and experience in medicine. I also look forward to learning more from the remainder of the didactic semesters in order to better form assessments and plans for my future patients.