Final Ethics Reflection on My Drive to Become a PA

Melinda Chiu
12/11/2018
HPPA 514

Reflection Essay

In this piece, I will explain how I got my drive to become a PA, what I anticipate will be important aspects of my practice, and describe and explain how certain ethical principles play a part in the aspects I foresee.

In my junior year of high school, my father was diagnosed with liver cancer, and lost his battle with it a few months after. As I mourned my family’s loss, I had a chance to reflect on how my father’s medical team offered such a strong support network to my family throughout. I found myself looking up to every member, which aspired me to work towards becoming a PA. As I gathered more health experiences, my love for medicine grew. The PAs I met along the way were very knowledgeable, professional, enthusiastic about their profession, and formed strong relationships with their patients. My goal was repeatedly being affirmed, and I quickly realized my passion for becoming a PA was to make a difference; by giving back to the medical community, and to be able to treat and comfort patients and their families.

In my experience, knowing that clinicians and other healthcare staff truly cared for me and my family helped to decrease some stress and anxiety. I anticipate that in my practice, one of the most important aspects will be to understand my patients and their family’s healthcare expectations and beliefs. By spending time with them, I would be able to get to know them as individuals, and show that I care about them. By gaining their trust, it will only strengthen my ability to help and treat them. Another aspect that I find important is being able to volunteer. A PA I had come in contact with shared how she regularly volunteered to offer her medical services at sporting events. I was in awe of her selflessness, and the ability of PAs being able to help. Also, from knowing US is relatively advanced in medicine, I want to be able to travel to underserved countries to extend my services.

A key aspect for carrying out my vision is by forming strong relationships with my patients. I believe that the ethical principles of dignity, truthfulness, and beneficence will best support this in my practice. In the RCN report, treating patients with dignity was “to treat them as being of worth, in a way that is respectful of them as valued individuals”(1-pg8). This definition shows how it is essential to spend time to understand the patients on an individual level in order to build rapport, better treat them, and promote their dignity. Especially when I continue to serve patients in my practice or in volunteering, I will be faced with new cultures, values, and ways of living. Being aware and sensitive to this fact is essential. Ways to address this may be to respect patient’s space, explain and ask for permission for what I plan do in examinations, use caution when needing to expose body parts, and have compassion. Another important practice would be to learn about the patient’s preferences for disclosure; for example, if they want to be alone, with family or friends, nor not told much at all. This aspect ties in with the ethical principle of truthfulness.

In the Surbone article, truth-telling is described as “a dynamic, iterative, and interactive process that takes place between the [provider] and the patient, sharing many provisional truths in view of a common therapeutic goal(2-pg947). This explains how there should be a relationship where the patient’s goals, values, and cultural customs are appreciated by the provider. According to this mutual understanding, it will guide how “truthfulness” is shared. For example, cultures have different beliefs surrounding news of cancer. Some cultures believe that patients should know their diagnosis, while others may not disclose(2-pg946)(3-pg505-508). Beneficence can be seen on both sides of this scenario. It is defined as “caring about and for the well-being of patients, and working towards good of patient”(4-pg103). One culture may believe that the patient should be told the truth in order to make an informed decision for their next steps; while another culture may see that not disclosing the truth will protect the patient from unnecessary stress, and their clinician and/or loved ones should make decisions on their behalf(2-pg946). By spending time unpacking the patient’s expectations and preferences in health situations, I would be able tailor my methods to better care for and respect my patient’s wishes.

By practicing the ethical principles of dignity, truthfulness, and beneficence, I will be able to make a difference by better understanding my patients, and enhancing my services abroad.

References

1. Royal College of Nursing. (2008). Defending Dignity
    2. Surbone, A. (2006). Telling the truth to patients with cancer: what is the truth?
    3. Tuckett, A. (2004). Truth-Telling in Clinical Practice and the Arguments For and Against
    4. Yeo et al. (2010). Concepts and Cases in Nursing Ethics – Beneficence