Rotation 7 – Pance Prep Plan

To create my PANCE preparation plan, I first reviewed the PANCE blueprint. I noted the percentages at which the topics are tested to see what is most important to master before taking the exam.

Next, I reviewed the feedback received from my past PACKRAT, EOR exams, and Rosh Review questions. The first thing I noticed was how much Cardiovascular will be on the exam, compared to how I have been scoring on those questions. I have been inconsistent with the subject; sometimes below, average, or slightly above the national performance. Pulmonary was another organ system that is heavily tested on, that I need to focus attention on. Although a few of my exams showed I tested above average, my Rosh Review feedback was way below average. Endocrine, Dermatology, and Renal were other topics where I had consistently below average performance. Even though they are not tested as heavily, it would benefit me to strengthen my knowledge on those topics so that I do not lose easy points on the exam. After reviewing my question feedbacks, I noticed that I have strengths in Musculoskeletal, Hematology, and Infectious Disease. These are topics that I can occasionally review, but not focus too much extra time on.

Due to the pandemic, it is not for certain when we will complete our rotations, and when graduation will be. I plan to give myself 1-2 months after graduation to prepare to take the PANCE. Currently, I try to do 30 questions a week and review those tested topics. I may do these randomly throughout the week during my downtime. However, if I have a chunk of time available, try to do 30-60 questions timed to practice my test taking. I will continue to practice questions like this, with the intention to increase the number of questions per day/week the closer I get to my scheduled PANCE date. My goal is to train myself to run through 60 questions per day. Taking into account my topic weakness previously described, those are the topics I will make sure to practice regularly throughout my practice question sessions. Within two weeks of my exam date, I will consider purchasing and completing the NCCPA practice exam, as well as Rosh Review’s “Mock PANCE Blocks” and “PANCE Power Packs”.

I intend to rotate between Rosh Review, Kaplan, and Exam Master questions, in order to practice different question styles and content. Within a day of doing the questions, I will review the answers and the reasons behind them. In addition, I will also try to figure out why the other answer choices were incorrect, and be aware of the differentials that the test writers wanted us to consider when picking the right answer. If I need further clarification on the topics, I have many resources to turn to. I will use my trusted sources of Pance Prep Pearls, Osmosis, Amboss, our Clinical Wiki on Blackboard, as well as relevant Youtube videos. I also look forward to taking part of the PANCE bootcamp planned by our PA Program at the end of our Clinical rotations!